New West Pride Society created an Accessibility Committee for 2016 with the goal of increasing the participation and enhancing the experience of attendees of the annual New West Pride Columbia Street Party and New West Pride community events by creating accurate accessibility information and making it readily available.
A secondary goal was to advocate for an increase in accessibility information by providing audits and information to the City of New Westminster, the private businesses that hold community events, and local organizers who plan events on Columbia Street.
New West Pride 2016 saw improvements that included:
● An accessibility audit of the entire New West Pride Festival Street Festival site.
● Accessibility audits completed by all hosts of New West Pride community events for their New West Pride events.
● Audits, maps, and other accessibility information widely advertised on all promotions of New West Pride events.
● All information made available to other city event organizers.
● Priorities, goals and findings shared with the City of New Westminster staff and appropriate working groups.
● Recommendations to improve accessibility will be available to all businesses
COLUMBIA STREET PARTY IMPROVEMENTS